Wednesday, March 30, 2022

In the Age of A.I.

 In the Age of A.I.

This entire film scared me a bit. As opposed to just focusing upon the many things they talked about, privacy was the scariest thing to me when watching this. In class, we spoke upon the impact that our phones' privacy has on us, or that the “Alexa” has on each person that has it. I found my mind wandering to all of the terrifying things the internet has a hold of whether it’s my own personal information or my friends or the people around me. Apps such as snapchat where all you do is take photos of your face all day, it is all saved. Even the feature on new iPhones with the face ID to get into the phone. People have their faces scanned 100’s even 1,000’s of times a day and where does that go? People that have their emails and passwords saved by a fingerprint on their apple devices to make it “easier” to get back are just throwing their personal information around like it’s candy. 

I want to focus mostly on the “Alexa”’s in this post, though. I personally have never bought an Alexa because I thought that the concept was scary. “Would you let a stranger eavesdrop in your home and keep the recordings?” Washington Post  asks. Most people would react to this as if it were a dumb question. Of course people would not want someone they don’t know listening to their every word. What is the difference between a stranger and Alexa though? Where do people think Alexa goes when she’s so called “off”? How does she turn off then magically come back on just to her name? The answer is she isn’t off. Many home owners say she "goes rogue", meaning she activates quite often without her trigger name being announced by the owner. This is a terrifying concept that anyone can hear anything you talk about just through a little machine that is supposed to “make your life easier just by plugging it in”. Alexa is always listening and the “In the Age of A.I.” movie, it is very clear we are all being watched and listened to at all times. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Credit Blog #2

  Reflection Final Presentations After watching the presentations of the final class, it left me feeling some type of way. It is incredible ...