Thursday, March 17, 2022

Top 5 News Sources

Where Do I Get My Information?

My top 5 news sources may not be the typical magazine or daily news show. To be entirely honest, the majority of my major news comes from social media. Instagram is the main place where I learn about everything going on in the world but I also see a lot of my news on facebook and from family members who are keeping themselves well educated on the news around the world. Having said this, I do sometimes use CNN and New York Times to read more in-depth articles about the news stories so those would be main sources as well, but Instagram is certainly my main source. 

On Instagram, there are so many different ways to get your news. Personally, other people posting informative posts on their stories is how I get my news. The way that this works is when I see that a friend of mine found something interesting enough to put it on their account, it causes me to want to know more about it and be more educated. This social media platform is where most students my age get their information because on average, I would assume I open instagram over 40 times a day (I know, I have a problem…). As that is an absurd amount though, I learn so much every time I click on the app now. Whether it’s social issues, politics, or local news, Instagram covers it all. It is no longer an app just to look at photos of friends having fun. It still includes that element that we all love, but this app is turning into a platform to raise awareness for so many things people were not educated on before. 

As for Facebook, this app is a bit more biased when it comes to the news being spread. Though it allows news articles to be shared as a link on the platform, there is a more of an open space to allow people to caption it with their opinions. In addition, Facebook is more of an adult platform which does lead to more political and sophisticated issues to be posted and discussed. I would say this is my second source for information still for the purpose that there are typically bigger arguments in the comment section on Facebook which can make it hard to tell if the post is reliable or not, whereas Instagram has a shorter box for comments and is better about reporting comments that may be true or may be 

false. It is second, above the others though, because it is a platform I spend a lot of time on and it is somewhere I use as my initial source for information before I do additional research. 

When it comes to my family, they are extremely up to date on current events. They are passionate about staying as educated as possible and enjoy having debates about the news. My grandmother uses different sources as say my mother and father, so getting all of our different perspectives is a really cool way for me to get my information!

Lastly, it is important to get current news from magazines, journals, newspapers, etc. Also, considering my dream profession is to work writing for magazines, it is important I read a lot of styles of magazine writing and see how they report on different events. Almost every morning, I try to read through a new story from The New York Times, and depending on how much time I have I read at least one story from CNN. CNN is a bit biased at times and has a very clear standpoint on each story, but I find it a good source to get a general idea of what is going on in the world. The New York Times is one where I find more information than any of the other sources that I use to get my information. It feels like a more sophisticated platform and has stories that go into much greater depth than say Instagram or Facebook. 

In all, I find it extremely important to get my news on current events from many different sources, not just many different magazines. Getting news on social media is so beneficial these days, but that works hand in hand with reading magazine articles as well in my opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Credit Blog #2

  Reflection Final Presentations After watching the presentations of the final class, it left me feeling some type of way. It is incredible ...